Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Man! Oh, Man-ny...

I’m a huge baseball fan. Love the game. Doesn’t particularly matter what teams are playing… as long as they are MLB, count me in on the viewing.

I’m not a huge fan of those who pull the “I didn’t know” card. And frankly, that’s exactly what I believe Manny Ramirez is trying to make us believe. I am not buying it.

Oh, he’s not the first one in the game to try this tactic. Nor, since MLB is too chicken to take a stance, will he be the last.

But, please… an athlete’s body is his tool of the trade. Any good workman knows you treat those tools with respect, reverence, and care. You don’t forget tools out in the rain. You don’t leave your laptop computer teetering on a table’s edge or in your hot car. You don’t let anybody near that musical instrument. Hmm… you don’t put anything in your body (or anything that can be absorbed by your body) unless you know what it is. Specifically. Undeniably.

Taking drugs… any drugs whether they are banned or not that even remotely changes hormone levels, builds better muscles, allows someone to jump tall buildings is cheating. It should not be tolerated.

Sadly, it is. By MLB. By sportscasters and journalists. By teammates. By fans. And athletes taking banned substances will continue, with the lame excuse “I didn’t know” until they are held accountable for their actions and kicked out of the game… permanently.

No measly 50-game suspensions. No having to face the team. No giving lame excuses that just add to the stupidity of the action. Gone. For good. Period. End of story.

2 comments:

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a big sports fan. But I agree totally with you - I get sick of the excuses athletes come up with for taking crap like that. I would love to see them kicked out for good - give them a chance the first time, fine. But make sure they tow the line, and if they don't - out they go. They really do get away with far too much.

I agree. And, the so-called apologies are so half-hearted. Like they are saying they're sorry for being caught... not for being stupid...